I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Saturday 21 July 2007

Potter mania hits the Hills house


Well it's finally here - the thing we've all been waiting for. I'm speaking of the latest (and last?) Harry Potter book. I'm not sure whether I'm a good Dad or a 'mad Dad' but at 10pm last night I headed off for Lakeside to take Rebacca to join the queue outside Waterstone's to pick up her copy. Rachel came along to show sisterly support. We expected a crowd to be there already and were surpirsed to find ourselves only about 15th in the line. But as the time drew nearer the crowds grew and the line snaked around the Debenhams end of the shopping centre. I don't know what I expected - but it was surprising to see the age of the waiting throng - older teenagers and early 20's -all those who had grown up and spent their teenage years with 'Harry'. If JK keeps her promise and makes this the last, will life ever be the same?
Waterstones did the waiting throng proud - free sweets, games and even magicians on hand to entertain. The magic guy was brilliant. Some of you may know that I have turned my hand to a little magic over the years - this guy was superb, with sleight of hand stuff so slick that he left us literally 'spell bound'. Midnight arrived and staff tried their best to whip up some excitement with a countdown. By 5 past midnight Becky emerged triumphant with her personal copy. She's determined to read it before she goes to church on Sunday (700 pages!!!) so we expect a nice, quiet day.

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations