I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Monday 22 February 2010

Deployment diary day 34: Sunday 21st February

Tonight I compose my diary entry from the comfort of a hotel suite in Florida. The first leg of the homeward journey is over. As I put my bag onto the huge comfy bed and looked around the room, with its lounge, kitchen and bathroom areas, I couldn't help reflect the contrasts that we take so much for granted. It's probably 4 times as large as the homes families are living in on the soccer ground camp. Standing under the hot shower, and I have to confess I stood there for a LONG time, I remembered the number of times I had walked around the camp and just bumped into people standing virtually naked in the middle of that huge melee of people as they tried to wash from water they had collected in an old tin can. The comfort provided for me tonight is very gratefully accepted but a reminder that it is often our place of birth and upbringing that impacts how we live - not our worth as human beings and individuals loved and cared for by God. The young boy in the photo, playing with his his kite made from an old plastic bag, is just as valuable to God as I am but his opportunities will be far less than I, or my own children, have been privileged to enjoy. I hope I don't get used to my new surroundings too quickly!

As I left Port au Prince yesterday I managed to catch an hour with Paul and John, the incoming team leaders. They had just returned from an induction visit to our satellite projects. A quick handover of paperwork and a run through outstanding emails, then a handshake, a few hugs and off. As pilots say, they now 'have control' and I imagine things will carry on without even missing a beat. That's happened many times during these last few weeks as team members have changed - and that same process carries on today. Actually, far from slowing down, new things are happening even this week. An 8-person medical team from 'Real Impact Missions' arrived yesterday. This group, along with their sister organisation 'In His image' has been supporting our medical work since the beginning of our earthquake relief programme. Today the team will divide into 2 groups and deploy to our satellite centres to set up mobile facilities in Jacmel and Petit Goave. In the south they will be working out of a MASH tent erected yesterday in the corps compound. At Petit Goave they will literally be mobile - visiting camps and conducting surgeries from their backpacks. Remember our friends as this new programme begins.

On Tuesday the team leaders have a private appointment to visit the Prime Minister. They will be sharing details of our work and appealing for his help with some of the practical things that are still a great concern - the need for a warehouse and land for the transitional shelter programme. We pray for them and for the new medical outreach - the programme goes on.

Today marks my last Haiti deployment blog. I confess I have been surprised by the interest shown in these daily, rambling thoughts. Thank you for reading it - it is an indication of your concern for the people of Haiti. I have heard some have used the diary as a prayer point in churches and sectional practice. Just because this blog stops, please continue your prayer support. To those many friends that have sent messages of greeting and encouragement I say a huge 'thank you'. Your friendship is not taken for granted.

Now, two more flights to go - home Tuesday afternoon. Portsmouth here I come. Caribbean diary signing off!

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations