I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Deployment diary day 28: Monday 15th February

I find being on duty for the airport run quite a challenge! It's not the driving there or the lack of shade to protect you from the sun while you wait outisde for new arrivals. It's not the fact that there's no such thing as an arrivals board or any public address announcements to let you know whether a flight is in or not. It's dealing with all the people who see the Salvation Army uniform, recognise me as an NGO employee and approach and ask me for a job. I feel so awful when very bright, well-spoken young men with university qualifications approach me asking for work. Most have stories of losing relatives in the earthquake - some show pictures of their small children and describe how hungry they are and how much they wish to provide for them. We already employ around 60 local staff - in various roles from IT support, to translators, drivers and warehouse labourers. I'd love to give them all a job but we only need so many people. As I break the news that I'm very sorry we have no openings for them I reflect on the casual labour rate of US$5 per day and compare that to the cost of my daily hotel room. Life seems so unfair!

On a positive note, I'm thrilled that we are to start an employment programme in Jacmel. We have funding to employ 100 people, who will work in supervised teams of 10 for the next 60 days. So 110 people will have a new, if temportay, job. They will help us to help others in their community with clearing rubble from their homes, preparing plots for better shelter solutions. Whilst helping others, their $5 per day will also help put food on their own tables. So a big thank you to the generous donors.

The food disitrbution to those living in the camp continued well today. The logistics of distributing to 3,300 families is challenging - so we split the camp in two - with half the families receiving today and the others tomorrow. We feared whether this would work. But over the last 2 days our camp team distributed over 4,000 flyers explaining the process and camp committee members went out with megaphones telling everyone what was happening. I'm delighted to say things went very smoothly - 170,000 meals given out in just a couple of hours. We look forward to completing the 2nd half of the camp tomorrow.

Tomorrow is another official holiday here in Haiti - Mardi Gras (fear not - we'll be working as normal!). Back home we celebrate this feast day with pancakes - hmmm - I'll not hold out too much hope!

1 comment:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations