I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Deployment diary day 17: Wednesday 3rd February


Today marks the end of the first half of my deployment. I can't believe it's only been two and a half weeks since I arrived, so much has happened.

Team news first - the virus continues to spread through the team - more in bed today and others staying pretty close to the bathroom.

This morning we had a very constructive meeting about the clinic. We've had a number of rotations of doctors and medical personnel. Each team numbers 12 or 14 and comes for a week. I really take my hat off to them. They see some horrible sights and deal with them in very limited conditions. They also sleep at the clinic in the compound - sharing a couple of empty classrooms with open sides. They are right in the middle of the smoke and grime of the city - no comfortable hotel room for them. Patient numbers remain high - although they say the number of earthquake related treatments are falling and more general health concerns coming in. The treatment of wounds is a major problem. Every day patients return to have wounds cleaned and re-dressed - but the poor conditions in the camp mean that healing is a slow process.

This afternoon we had a very key meeting with the team from the International Organisation for Migration and UNHCR. These 2 groups are the main agencies responsible for emergency shelter. We've been asking for their help - and fortunately they want to give it as they recognise the situation in our camp is probably as serious as it gets. We have to find a way to move people off the camp, create a drainage ditch around the soccer pitch (because the rains are coming in March) and then put people back into a better shelter. Of course, this will only be possible if we can find more land to re-site some and also find ways to enable families to return home.

I've blogged often about the camp - so I've included some pics of it today.

I've also mentioned the sewage channel that separates our two compounds. As I came back to the compound today I saw a young man scavenging in it. I couldn't believe it! It just reminded me how desperate some people are.

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations