I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Tuesday 29 April 2008

Rising above the challenge

This week Lyn and I are in Calgary, Canada, attending an Emergency Disaster services conference. There are about 200 delegates - which is a fantastic crowd to draw for the first ever emergency conference in this territory.
On the way over we flew via Chicago, where we had a long layover while waiting for our connecting flight. We found ourselves a comfy spot in the departures lounge and enjoyed a read. While we were waiting, a guy came up with 2 x big, heavy computer bags hung over his shoulders. When he chose his seat, just across the way from us, he bent down and swung the bag straps over his head. It was then I noticed that the sleeves of his jacket were just that - sleeves. He was no arms. He took off his jacket, then proceeded to make some phone calls using his feet to activate his phone and speaking into the bluetooth earpiece he was wearing. (the thought did cross my mind - how would he have coped without a bluetooth headset?). I couldn't help overhear his conversation - and judging by the things he was saying he obviously held down a very responsible job. At one point I noticed he was putting on a watch, using his feet to deftly fasten the leather strap. I don't know about you, but I find it hard enough to do up a watch strap using my fingers!
He boarded the same flight as us. After we landed and headed towards the immigration desk he came past us, heavy bags around his shoulders but walking purposefully towards the counter. When he got there he went to an automated booth; put the bag down, got his passport out using his feet, activated the machine in the same way and was through and away while we were still waiting in the line!
I mentioned to Lyn that I had been impressed by the deft way he had put his watch 'on his wrist'. Don't you mean 'on his ankle' - Lyn replied. Thinking about it, of course it was on his ankle - he hadn't any arms! It was then I realised that whilst his disability had initially drawn his attention to me, the way he himself had found ways to rise above that physical limitation and beat the challenge meant that I was no longer seeing it either.
We all face challenges in our lives - perhaps they are physical, maybe they are emotional or practical. But they don't have to prevent us getting on with life and making the most of what God has given us. If we don't make them an issue, chances are others won't either.
I thank God for the example that young man was to me at the airport and the inspiration he provided to get on with life and rise above the challenge.

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations