I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Thursday 10 April 2008

Facing the future

It seems a long time since I last 'blogged'. It's been a good few weeks. The last 10 days have been spent in southern India. Along with about 50 others from The Salvation Army we gathered in Kovalam to review how our tsunami response programmes have gone. (check out the photo slideshow on the right of this page)

Amazingly, over 3 years have passed since the Boxing Day tragedy of 2004. The public outpouring of generosity which swept like a wave over us in those early days have seen over US$60 million donated to The Salvation Army. That's fantastic - but also creates a huge level of responsibility to use the funds wisely and well. The conference took an honest look at our programmes; identifying strengths and weaknesses and trying to reach recommendations which will enable us to respond even better should something so terrible ever happen again.

As we spent the week reviewing the last 3 years I was reminded of a journey I made 11 years ago. I was heading to Bosnia to work in a welfare centre in Sarajevo, providing support to NATO troops deployed there. The RAF offered me a seat on a military troop carrier and I remember boarding the plane with soldiers heading for their posting as part of the peace keeping operation.

We were flying in a DC10 plane. The strange thing about these military planes is that the seats face backwards. It's an odd feeling when you thunder down the runway for takeoff straining against the seat belts as you try and stay in your seat. I'm told the seats are arranged this way because it is supposed to be safer. If the plane were to crash there are likely to be more survivors. It might feel strange, but looking back is safer than looking ahead.

Looking back is easy. Highlighting mistakes or picking holes in the way others have worked is no challenge. But having the courage to face the future and make changes based on lessons learned is much harder.

The future is unknown - and that can be scary. But the 'blank page' gives us a fresh opportunity to make wise decisions. May God give us the courage to face the future with determination and anticipation.


No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations