I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Friday 5 October 2007

Words of the famous


A few months ago I received a very unusual gift. A former soldier of ours at Ilford invited us to visit her home as she wanted to pass into my possession something which had belonged to her husband. It sounded a little cryptic and I spent the day wondering what on earth it would be.
Lyn and I arrived and after sharing a cup of tea the gift was unveiled - an old, red autograph album. It looked fairly insignificant - until I started browsing through it. Names of famous Salvationists who have forged our heritage jumped from the pages. Lesser known names were there, too. Verses from scripture, pithy quotes, all written in flowery script with old-fashioned fountain pen.

As I took in the names the significance of the names began to dawn on me. I took it to work the next day, got out a copy of the Salvation Army Year Book and some post-it notes. The first few pages of the Year Book have a chronological list of our previous leaders. I worked through the list of former Generals and tagged them in the album. Starting with the Founder, General William Booth, through Bramwell Booth and through to the present day - General Shaw Clifton. It became evident that this small book, seemingly insigniicant, contained autographs and messages not only from every General but also every Chief of the Staff.

I don't know if there's a market for Sally Army memorabilia on e-bay, but if there is then this would make a fortune.

Reading the book is a moving experience - to think that its pages have been turned by every single leader in our Church's history. Each of the men and women who have led our church have paused for a few moments to pen some thoughts into this small book. The handwriting sometimes takes some deciphering (!), but to read the thoughts or mottoes that have inspired godly men and women is challenging.

Through the ramblings of this blog I'll share some of them in coming weeks. But as a starter I share the thoughts of Arch. Wiggins, writer, poet and author of some of our best loved hymns. His entry to the autograph album, penned on the 8th September 1930, simply reads:

When the one Great scorer comes
To write against your name,
He writes not that you won or lost;
But how you played the game.

A good thought to encourage us, I think. More to follow.

1 comment:

Hammer Time News! said...

i enjoyed your blog today have a great weekend!

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations