I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Who do they think we are?


Arrived back from a quick trip to Peru yesterday evening. It was very interesting - I'll probably blog something about it later. The journey home was really long. I left the place where I was staying in Lima at 7am on Monday and arrived home at about 5.30pm on Tuesday. Where on earth did those 2 days go?

On the long flight I found myself sitting next to a young British woman, probably in her mid 20's. She was just returning from a 2 month trip to Brazil - turned out her family had Brazilian links. She was video editor - very bright, personable and chatty.

When I replied to her question, 'what do you do, then?' by telling her I was with The Salvation Army, her response was, 'I thought that had died out long ago. When I think of the Sally Army all I picture is women in bonnets and long Victorian skirts'.

Once I had told her something about us and what we are now she was really staggered. 'Why don't you advertise?- put something on the telly'.

She was obviously worldly-wise but knew nothing about us. Perhaps our advertising and PR departments need a wake up call.

Just one other thought - I spent 11 hours on this flight, mostly sleeping. We wouldn't go into a hotel and say, 'do you have any people only using half of their double bed - if so, I'll sleep in the other half'. It crossed my mind that it's an odd thing that we are happy to get on a plane and curl up to sleep next to someone we've never met before - even a pretty young woman. Still, life has it's sacrifices, eh?

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations