I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Friday 3 August 2007

It's a fair cop


What sort of week have you had? I confess mine has had it's real 'ups' and 'downs'. We started our week 'up north' leading the funeral of an old friend. As odd as it sounds, this was one of the 'ups'. He had experienced a full life, the church was packed to the doors and there was a real spirit of celebration for a life lived to the full.


Returned to work and spent the rest of the week feeling like we were under attack and fighting a rearguard defence every day. They were the 'downs' - but even in dealing with those some positive results have come.


Last night topped the week off nicely. As I rode home my mind was full of all the garbage I felt I had been dealing with during the day. I wasn't concentrating as well as I should have been. As I made my way down the outside of a traffic queue I followed another biker around a Keep Left bollard (on the right!). I didn't realise 2 police motorcyclists were following me. You guessed it, immediately pulled over an an on the spot £30 fine. It's the first time I've been nicked and the copper was nice enough about it, but it wasn't a great feeling.


As I rode away I was kicking myself for getting caught. If only I had checked my mirrors. On any normal day I would have done - but the hassle of the day distracted me. Strangely enough, despite having just committed an offence I felt no remorse for breaking the law - only annoyed that I got caught. As I rode carefully away afterwards I was passed by many other bikers, all taking the same (illegal) route around the bollards I had been taking earlier. Made me even more annoyed seeing them on their way home while I pottered along obeying the rules.


It made me think. Is sin wrong only if we get found out? Or does Christian integrity mean trying to do the right thing - even when no one's looking?

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations