I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Monday 18 January 2010

Haiti Deployment Diary: Day 1, Monday 18th January

Welcome to my deployment diary on day 1 - the calm before the storm! After 4 days of preparation it was good today to set off to the airport this morning and get onto the flight headed for Fort Laudedale via Atlanta.

Having not worn the Emergency Services kit for 18 months it felt really good to put the vest on again - it felt really comfortable to be back in the 'fellowship of the T shirt' again.

The Salvation Army is a wonderful, world-wide fellowship. It's large and big enough to do amazing things - yet so small that we know each other as friends. I finally arrived at my hotel at 11pm (which was 4.00am Tuesday in the UK). As I walked through the entrance I was greeted by a bear hug of a welcome from my dear friend Jerry Larsen. He's just arrived today from Chicago and will be heading out tomorrow as part of the next group of 16 relief staff. Jerry is now retired but he and first worked together in Albania in 1999 and have worked together many times since in places such as Iraq and Pakistan. As I shook hands with others waiting in the lobby to check in there were warm greetings from Bob Poff's son and then from Dave Dalberg's son. Made me feel old when they started talking about my working relationship with their fathers! But how great to be on the other side of the world with friends from years gone by.

The good news is that the IES team that arrived here on Saturday have made it to Haiti today. The plan for us is to depart here at 2pm tomorrow and drive to Miami where we are being flown down to Haiti.

News from Haiti today is that the first SA distribution of MRE's (meals ready to eat) took place safely and peacefully today. Not sure quantities yet but will find out tomorrow.

Tonight my king size hotel bed (!) beckons now - I'll make the most of a comfy nights' sleep before heading out tomorrow. Internet connection permitting, I'll try and keep this blog diary up to date daily - so if you are at all interested in this informal view from the field feel free to look in from time to time.

Before I go - just a thought to close. We often question the value of SA uniform and some are quick to say it has had its day. On many occasions today I've received lovely greetings from fellow passengers who have seen the large Red Shield on the back of my vest and who have taken the time to ask what I was doing and where I was going. The cabin crew on the Delta flight from London came over and said they would pray for us in the coming days. Thank God for visibility and for the wonderful goodwill of so many people towards The Salvation Army.

1 comment:

Joe Halliday said...

It will be really interesting to hear from you over the coming weeks when you can post. Hope it goes well - my prayers are of course with you.

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations