I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Sunday 24 January 2010

Deployment diary day 6: Saturday 23rd January

Today has been a day where I've been very aware of contrasts. Firstly, I write this sitting in a room of the 'Coconut Villa' hotel. It wouldn't compare with the Hilton back home, but by contrast to the situation around me it is luxurious. I have electricity, water (cold) and, for the moment at least, air conditioning. We even have an internet connection in the restaurant. That's pretty good by anyone's standards. The hotel is one of a very still standing and has suffered virtually no damage. Drive out of the gate and the buildings all around it are completely flattened.

The Salvation Army was one of the first NGOs to send international staff into Haiti. Because we already had a presence here our headquarters identified somewhere for their visitors (us) to stay. Even over the 4 days I have been here I've noticed a change. The place is full now, buzzing with the hustle and bustle of NGO staff and media teams. By the way, I realise that by telling you this I've lost all your sympathy and good will :-)

The contrasts are many. There's the contrast between my current 'home' and the homes of those around me. Then there are the contrasts within our team. Some of our team are doctors. They have chosen to remain in the compound and live in the clinic where they are working. The clinic backs onto the sports ground which has become the camp. One of our doctors, Dr Herb, was telling me this evening that the stench from the camp and the sanitation canal that runs by it, is so bad that he has to tie a facemask over his nose and mouth at night to help him sleep. Yet he stays in the clinic of his own choice to be close to the patients he has come here to care for.

There's the contrasts in work roles. As incident commander my duties revolve around the command centre. We've established something pretty efficient now. A square of desks in the centre of the room accommodate the key command roles so we can easily communicate with each other. Around the periphery of the room are other team members and partner NGO staff who support the SA. My work involves strategy, planning and management of the team. In contrast, some of our team members spend their whole day out and about, lifting and shifting in the very hot temperatures. Some were drenched by midday from the strenuous work they were doing. I thank God for colleagues who are willing to endure such hard physical work to support those who are in need.

Tomorrow is going to be a distribution day, food rations to 1700 families - that's about 8,500 people. I'm apprehensive about it - despite the planning and preparation that has been invested to try and ensure it works well.

But in a place where contrasts seem so stark, tomorrow will be a day of unity. Every one of those who come to receive food will be united in having suffered great loss from last week's earthquake. Every one is now living in a shelter or tent - afraid or unable to return home. And every person represented in our team will be united by the desire to show care and support to them - perhaps in just a small way - in order to demonstrate that they matter.

Your prayers for our distribution will be very much appreciated.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Dear Cedric, continuing to think of you and the team there and trusting you will receive all the strength that you need daily to keep going. I am praying that the tremors will stop and that the people will feel able to trust you for the fair distribution of food and supplies so there will be a sense of calm throughout the process.
God bless all you do.
Alison x

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations