I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Saturday 27 December 2008

Hidden gems

Blessings often exist right under our noses, don't they? Actually, having been gifted with a rather large nose (courtesy of the Hills family gene pool) my opening comment might be interpreted as an understatement!
This morning we headed out of Portsmouth to a little village called Wickham. It wasn't far - about 10 miles - but a place we'd never visited before. As we witnessed the lines of vehicles streaming into the city today we were pleased to be heading out in the opposite direction.
After parking up in the village square we took a brief walk around before settling into 'Lilly's Coffee shop' for that most charming of British customs - 'elevenses'. It was a real gem of a place - old fashioned building, comfy decor and a real fire burning in the corner. The drinks, toasted tea-cakes and cakes were wonderful, too. I'd recommend it. Just around the corner but we'd never been there before.
It's often the case that we look for blessings miles away but so often fail to see those that we have right at hand. Tomorrow I return to work (well, briefly, anyway) and I write this blog reflecting on the lovely days I've enjoyed over the Christmas break. It's been great to see Mum, my daughters and their boyfriends. During the next couple of days we'll catch up with more family and I know we'll have a great time. It's easy to take for granted those closest to us.
I've just watched this evening's news on BBC and seen the footage of the carnage in Gaza and the results of air strikes today. I see families mourning for lost loved ones and others living in fear. When I see the suffering it reminds me in bleak tones that I really shouldn't take my peaceful and blessed life for granted.
At a time of year when thoughts all around the world have turned to the Middle East and particularly the town of Bethlehem, the contrast between the evolved folklore of which we have been singing and the reality of life there now seems stark.
With the people of Irael and Gaza in mind, I leave with a prayer for peace composed by a Jewish Rabbi:
T
his we know:
Fear can yield to faith, hope can reignite
Rage can cease, hatred can be melted. . . .
Merciful One, illumine the sight of your children
To see You in each other's eyes.
Merciful One, spread the canopy of your peace over us,
Over Israel, over Ishmael, over all who dwell on earth. Amen

Rabbi Sheila Weinberg

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations