I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Monday 14 January 2008


Do you ever have those moments when you feel you should pinch yourself to check you aren't dreaming? I had one of those yesterday morning. Leaving the hotel at 6am I went out for a jog in the park. The hotel is situated on the Rushcutters Bay area of Sydney. It's summer here in Australia but the weather is changeable and it was a bright, but cool day with a gentle breeze blowing - just perfect for running. As I ran around the bay (by the way - the picture to the left is a photo of the joging route- nice, eh?) I looked over to my left and took in the view of the Sydney Harbour bridge - the iconic view of Sydney. I thought 'this is surreal - in the middle of British winter I'm jogging on the other side of the world under the shadow of one of the world's most famous sights!' Life's a sacrifice, eh?

Normally I run after work - this time of year it's dark, cold and damp. I occasionally pass another mad jogger, done up to the hilt in scarf and gloves, but the streets of Hornchurch rarely echo with the sound of groups enjoying exercise.

What a difference here yesterday! The park was full of people out enjoying early morning exercise. There were probably well over 100 other folks out there.

But what was interesting was looking around and taking in the variety of exercie choices. There were other joggers ruining alone, like me. Powerwalkers, vigorously swinging little dumbbells in each hand as they pounded the pathway. Then there were groups - people out in teams sharing exercise and encouraging each other on. One group was doing kickboxing exercises, another was being drilled by a fitness coach - doing jumps, squats and other routines. Many were walking their dogs - both enjoying a bit of early morning fresh air. Then others were playing sport (hardly surpising the Aussies beat us in test cricket when they are out practicing their bowling at 6am!).

It was a great atmosphere and having a run at 6am seemed such a natural thing to do alongside so many others all sharing the desire to get fit.

But what hit me was the fact that whilst the overall aim was the same, the way in which it was achieved was very different for each person.

I've been working my way slowly through an interesting book lent to me by our CO - it's called 'releasing your church to grow'. It's written simply and contains lots of useful and stimulating thoughts and I'm really enjoying reading it. But I confess the last chapter has been a bit of a struggle. The author has been emphasising the importance of small group Bible studies - basically arguing that house group are the bedrock of any growing church and if you can't persuade someone to jon a house group then there's obviously something wrong with their Christian experience.

Confession time now- I found the chapter difficult because joining a house group has never appealed to me at all. I have no enthusiasm for joining a group and meeting every week to study the Bible. It's not that I don't want to read God's Word and learn more about Him and my relationship. And it's not that I don't like people (I think I'm not that difficulat to get on with) - but the basic idea of a House group where you meet to go through a passage and all pontificate on what you think it means (despite no one having any more clue than you!) has absolutely no attraction to me whatsoever!

Yesterday's jogging experience reminded me that God hasn't made us all the same. Made in His image, yes, but made the same, no. Even if we might have the same goals as someone else, the way we achieve them can be very different - each according to our personality or nature.

I write this at 5.45am on Tuesday morning - I can't sleep as I'm struggle to get over the jetlag from the journey. In a few minutes I'm heading out for this morning's exercise. The view will be great, I'm sure, and the park will be full. As I run I'll offer up my morning prayers and thank God that He's made me - His own creation - unique and with me own characteristics. And I'll do my best to get a little fitter, too!

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations