I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Sunday 24 November 2013

Estonia - Ready for Mission

The SA team gather - not sure who the guy in the white shirt is!
 The Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit is always an exciting event. Lyn and I have been privileged to attend a number of these in the UK. This year was our first experience of GLS Estonia and we were certainly not disappointed. Along with around a dozen of our colleague SA leaders we made our way to the Tallinn Technical college recently. The event was organised with the same high standard of professionalism as we had experienced from Willow Creek before. Bill Hybel’s opening session set the scene for a powerful conference and really challenged me. His theme was ‘Courage in leadership’ – and he shared movingly his personal testimony of the moments God has used words originally spoken to Joshua as challenge and encouragement: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.’” Joshua 1:9  I recognised those times in my life when I should have shown more of that godly courage and prayed that God might equip me for the leadership tasks ahead.

Opportunity for fellowship and discussion
The assembly hall of the Technical College was full – and it was particularly inspiring to look around and see so many young leaders present (or is this just a sign I am getting old!). I couldn’t help reflecting that here we were in Estonia – a country that only 20 years before had been annexed under Soviet rule – with so many young, enthusiastic leaders determined to share the Gospel and grow the church. I gave thanks to God for those older Christians and leaders who had kept the flame of faith alight when times must have been very dark and challenging. I looked around at our small SA group and gave thanks to God for the movement of the Spirit within the Army. I gave thanks for new officers and emerging leaders and prayed we might be true to our calling as a ‘salvation’ Army.

During the last few weeks I have been touched by the generosity of many friends and corps in the UK who have responded to our ‘Ready for Mission’ appeal. We asked for help to fund officers’ meeting and training days. You have responded so generously and warmly and we would like you to accept our sincere thanks. Because of your kindness and support we can not only look forward with confidence to those Ready for Mission days planned for 2014 but we have also committed to take 12 leaders to participate in the Baltic Church Conference in February 2014. The theme will be ‘Building Life – Changing Churches’. It sounds really exciting and we hope God will use it to inspire us to build His church in Estonia.


These are exciting and challenging days and we pray we might be responsive to His leading and ‘Ready for Mission’.  

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations