I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Monday 28 October 2013

EU: Gravy train or god-send?

Last weekend I travelled to Prague where more than 30 officers and SA project workers from around Europe met to learn about The Salvation Army's relationship with the EU. I went with anticipation and much interest. During my time working on IHQ I had been involved with others in developing positive links with the EU and particularly their humanitarian arm - ECHO. Having travelled to Brussels in 2007 with my then boss, Commissioner Don Odegaard, to sign an ECHO partnership agreement I was aware of earlier attempts to generate ECHO support and the subsequent struggle to access funding.

Certainly in the UK the EU is not always spoken of in glowing terms. Phrases such as 'gravy train' are regularly used; incidents of corporate waste are often quoted - not to mention the huge salaries and personal benefits that appear to be awarded to those who are able to secure the votes to represent us as MEPs or secure work at Brussels. Then there are the mountains of new rules ('elf n'safety spring to mind!) and bureaucracy which are regularly imposed by this remote office. I think it fair to say that if you say the words 'European Union' and 'Brussels' in the UK they are not likely to raise smiles or conjure images of a benevolent supporter.

Delegates of the EU conference
Despite that, the conference was a great success and personally very inspirational.  We learned that our colleagues in the Czech Region have nurtured a very positive and supportive relationship with the EU. They secured their first grant in 1999 - a small 1,000 Euro project, but have steadily and deliberately built upon this is subsequent years. Funding from the EU has been used to develop SA programmes, build new properties and provide financial stability for the SA's mission in that country. It was really encouraging to learn that EU money can be used so well. We were reminded early in the conference of William Booth's attitude to using songs of the music hall and adapting them for mission and worship ("why should the devil have all the best tunes?"). Well, why shouldn't EU funding be used to support God's mission?

I returned back to work on Wednesday and, after a little research, learned that a branch of the EU based in Estonia is inviting applications for small grants to support Estonian-based NGOs help build financial income and social entrepreneurship. That seems to fit our situation perfectly as we endeavour to develop  our firewood project and explore other income generating possibilities. The sums offered are modest, but we will try. After all, the Czech Region started with a €1,000 grant, right? I'll keep you posted on progress. Some might say, 'gravy train' - I say, 'godsend, possible mission opportunity' :-)

No comments:

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations