I'm told that it's good to share. There's nothing startling here, just a few random thoughts and insights into my little world. If you've visited this site deliberately - thanks for coming. If you've stumbled upon it then I hope you find something of interest. Welcome to my world!

Saturday 10 November 2007

The good Samaritan is not dead!


Last night, as Lyn was almost home, she came towards the traffic lights on the A127. Feeding into the 'turn left' lane she discovered her route blocked by a broken down car. The vehicles in front of her just drove around the obstacle. As she came up to the car she saw the driver, an elderly man, stood by the side of his car, looking helpless. As she pulled alongside him she wound down the window and asked if he was OK. He wasn't!

'I've broken down and don't know what to do', he replied.

Lyn pulled around the corner, stopped the car, grabbed a passer by and the two of them pushed the car away from the busy junction and into the forecourt of Kwik Fit, where they called the AA to come and help.

But that's not the whole point of the story.

A man came past with his 2 young children. He asked what was wrong and if he could help. When he discovered what was happening he gave the driver his Nokia N95 phone, showed him how to use it and said, 'hang on to this until you are sorted. Here's my address, just drop it in later when the car is going again'. And off he went, leaving a £300 phone with someone he had never met before.

Lyn came home, made a coffee and took it, with some cake, back to the driver to keep him going while he waited. When she got there she found he was wearing a nice coat.

'A driver saw me by the side of the road, pulled up, gave me his warm coat and just drove off', said the old guy. He was obviously stunned by this unexpected kindness.

Despite the ignorance of those who had initially just driven around the broken down vehicle without offering any help, I was proud of the way people had then rallied around to help.

The age of the good Samaritan is not dead!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Wow, that nearly made me cry! That's amazing.

Dawn said...

What an amazing story, Cedric. It rebuilds your confidence in Humankind!

Haven't seen Lyn for ages - please send her my love - I miss her sitting next to me in songsters!

Jenny said...

wow that's fantastic!....it makes you wonder though would the other folk have helped if Lyn hadn't made the first move.....? Great to see Lyn (and you of course!!) today.

Welcome to my page

Welcome to my page
Silver Wedding anniversary celebrations